DIY’s Friday Group meets every week at the Angel Centre and is made up of DIY members who want to develop their leadership skills and experiences. This group plans, delivers and evaluates DIY’s education and outreach programme.
The Friday Group plans and runs weekly DIY BUDS sessions and develops Arts Award projects with young people with learning disabilities in partnership with schools and voluntary sector organisations.
The whole Friday Group is involved in planning and evaluating DIY’s education and outreach programme, although one or two Friday Group members will be involved in direct delivery of each project. They offer young people with learning disabilities opportunities to:
- Develop leadership and creative skills and experiences
- Explore themes and issues of relevance to them, in a supportive environment
- Practice “taking charge” in a range of situations
- Gain a sense of achievement and a nationally accredited qualification
- Raise aspirations, confidence and self-belief
- Develop life-skills such as communication, decision-making and working with others.
For a taste of the work the Friday Group has been developing with young people with PMLD, watch the video below.